Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St. Trolla's Chapel

Chapel (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name St. Trolla's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 6966

Site Number NC90NW 7

NGR NC 9221 0742

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6966

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Loth
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC90NW 7 9221 0742.

(NC 9221 0742) Supposed site of St Trolla's Chapel. (NR)

OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1879)

Kintradwell - old form probably Cill Trollen, derived from a chapel erected here in remote times. Dedicated to a nun said to have come from Achaia with Saint Regulus and canonised as St Trollen or Trollhena of the Sagas, St Tredwen, Triduan, and Tredwell of other writers and Scottish hagiologists.

J MacKay 1894.

At Kintradwell it is said there was a chapel dedicated to St Trullen, but its site cannot now be traced.

H Morrison 1883.

"I cannot agree that the name Kintradwell indicates anything ecclesiastical. The prefix 'Kil' is not known to be transformed into 'Kin'. Besides, the name Kintradwell is of quite recent date, certainly not more than 40 years old; prior to this the name of the farm was Kentrulla, which is yet in Gaelic and which described well the position of the spot - 'the head of the bay'.

L Tait 1870.

St Trolla's Chapel - Applied to the supposed site of Saint Trolla's Chapel situated a short distance to the south of Kintradwell Mansion House. Nothing appears to be known about the date of this chapel's erection, neither when disused.

Name Book 1873.

There is nothing to be seen at the spot indicated by siting symbol on OS 6" plan as the supposed site of St Trolla's Chapel. No further information regarding this chapel was encountered.

Visited by OS (W D J) 3 April 1962.

NC 921 074 A watching brief was carried out in February 2001 on the excavation of a trench for a water pipeline passing the site of St Trolla's Chapel, as recorded on early OS maps. Two skeletons were revealed, and the site was excavated by GUARD.

Report to be lodged with Highland SMR.

Sponsor: Morrison Construction.

C Dagg 2001

NC 9221 0741 Human remains were disturbed during machine-excavation of a pipeline trench for a new water main near the supposed site of St Trolla's Chapel, Kintradwell (NMRS NC90NW 7). Rescue excavation recorded the remains of 16 burials in the area immediately to the E of the pipeline trench, 11 of which had been disturbed by the machine and were removed from the site. All of the burials lay extended and in a supine position and were buried ENE-WSW, with the heads to the W. At least two had stone settings around the heads and upper bodies. (GUARD 1027).

Sponsor: North of Scotland Water Authority

O Lelong 2001

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions