Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkcudbright, St Mary Street, Railway Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Kirkcudbright, St Mary Street, Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkcudbright Station; Bridge Street

Canmore ID 69353

Site Number NX65SE 83

NGR NX 68574 51177

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/69353

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkcudbright
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX65SE 83 68574 51177

NMRS REFERENCE

Peddie and Kinnear, 1862-6.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NX 686 512). Kirkcudbright Station, built 1864 for the Kirkcudbrightshire Rly. All that is left of this single-platform terminal station is the main building, a 2-storey, 5-bay rubble building in the Elizabethan style, very similar to the first Ayr station, and now a coffee shop.

J R Hume 1976.

The section of Kirkcudbright Station facing onto St Mary's Street has now been converted into a commercial health studio. Associated railway buildings to the rear have now been demolished.

Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ), March 2002.

This terminal station of the Kirkcudbright branch (from Castle Douglas) of the former Glasgow and South Western Rly was opened (by the Kirkcudbright Rly) on 7 March 1864. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 3 May 1965.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 17 March 2006.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions