Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkcudbright, Creamery

Dairy (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kirkcudbright, Creamery

Classification Dairy (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Merse Road, Creamery

Canmore ID 69352

Site Number NX65SE 82

NGR NX 68323 51426

NGR Description Centred on NX 68323 51426

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/69352

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Twynholm
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

Activities

Standing Building Recording (September 2012 - October 2012)

NX 683 514 A programme of archaeological work was undertaken September – October 2012 at the former creamery, Merse Road prior to its demolition. The creamery was opened by the Stewartry Dairy Association in October 1921 and by 1931 was the largest co-operative creamery in Scotland. The Scottish Milk Marketing Board bought the creamery in 1933 and in 1934 the Scottish Milk Powder Company set up a drying plant next to the creamery. In 1961 the Scottish Milk Marketing Board took over the management of both operations. The powdered milk unit closed in 1978 but operations at the creamery continued to be run by Scottish Pride (1986–1997), Express Dairies (1997–2002) and Milk Link (2002–2010).

The original building consisted of a long two-storey rectangular structure, aligned SE–NW, with a further one-storey building attached to the rear, aligned NE–SW. Small extensions were made to this building in the mid 1930’s with the construction of a drying plant and house. Further additions were then made to both buildings in the 1950s/1960s, the largest of which were the areas associated with the production of UHT milk. Buildings and extensions continued to be added until 2008, with many of the areas/buildings changing their function over the years.

Archive: RCAHMS. Report: Dumfries and Galloway SMR

Funder: Dumfries and Galloway Housing Partnership Ltd

Rebecca Shaw, Rebecca Shaw Archaeological Services

2012

Note

Kirkcudbright creamery in its present form dates from after 1950. Owned by Milk Link, it closed in January 2010. The main office block was damaged by fire on 8th December 2011.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 20 December 2011.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions