Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hill Of Olligarth

Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Hill Of Olligarth

Classification Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Stromness Voe

Canmore ID 690

Site Number HU34NE 2

NGR HU 3883 4729

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/690

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Tingwall
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU34NE 2 3883 4729.

(HU 3882 4730) Cuml (OE)

OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed. (1903)

A Neolithic house consisting of the usual stony mound round a hollow of oval shape. The tops of four earth-fast stones show through the turf and in the SE arc there is a face of masonry returning as a recess of the single chamber within. In the lower end on the ESE an entrance gap is noticeable and overall dimensions of 46' by 36 1/2' are indicated. There are traces of field dykes in front of the entrance and to the east.

C S T Calder 1958

A Neolithic/Bronze Age house generally as described by Calder. The 'field dykes' in front of the entrance may be the remains of a forecourt. The recess on the SE has been utilised as a small sheep shelter. Close by the N side are the footings of a small rectangular plantycrub. An enclosure c.60.0m. E of the house, abutting onto Stromness Voe, may be associated, otherwise there are only scant traces of a field system in the vicinity.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RL) 7 June 1968

Scheduled as Hill of Olligarth, settlement and field system.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 6 August 1993.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions