Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, North British Diesel Engine Works, Cantilever Crane

Crane (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, North British Diesel Engine Works, Cantilever Crane

Classification Crane (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Barclay Curle

Canmore ID 68404

Site Number NS56NW 55

NGR NS 5334 6684

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68404

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Summary Record (1 July 2016)

The Barclay Curle/North British Diesel Engine cantilever crane (150 tonnes) was completed in 1920 by Sir William Arrol and Co. It is no longer operational. The structure was given A-listed status in April 1989.

It is one of four cranes of this kind surviving on the River Clyde. The others are; the Finnieston/Stobcross crane, Glasgow (Cowans Sheldon and Co. of Carlisle, Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co., 1931, 175 tonnes); the Clydebank crane, West Dunbartonshire (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1907, 150 tonnes); the James Watt Dock crane, Greenock, Inverclyde (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1917, 150 tonnes); the former Barclay Curle/North British Diesel Engine Works crane, Glasgow (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1920, 150 tonnes).

Information from Martin Conlon, 1 July 2016

Archaeology Notes

NS56NW 55 5334 6684

This 150 Ton giant cantilever crane was built by Sir William Arrol and Co. Ltd in 1920.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 19 February 1991

See also NS56NW 52.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions