Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kincardine On Forth, Kincardine Power Station

Power Station (20th Century)

Site Name Kincardine On Forth, Kincardine Power Station

Classification Power Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kincardine Generating Station; River Forth, Coal Tippers And Hoppers

Canmore ID 68086

Site Number NS98NW 61

NGR NS 9250 8810

NGR Description Centred NS 9250 8810

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Tulliallan
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NS98NW 61.00 centred 9250 8810

Kincardine Generating Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010. [Outdated].

NS98NW 61.01 NS 92741 87632 to 92597 87736 Jetty (River Forth)

NS98NW 61.02 NS 9245 8800 Administration, Ablutions and Workshop Building

NS98NW 61.03 centred NS 9225 8845 Substation, coal store and coal plant conveyors

NS98NW 61.04 NS 92553 88088 Turbine Hall (Turbine House]

NS98NW 61.05 NS 92645 87998 Ash Slurry House

NS98NW 61.06 NS 92608 88020 Chimneys [centred on midpoint between chimneys]

NS98NW 61.07 NS 92582 87947 Water House

NS98NW 61.08 NS 92629 87765 Cooling Water Pumphouse

NS98NW 61.09 NS 92667 88012 Water Treatment Plant House

NS98NW 61.10 NS 92699 88089 Fire Fighting Pumphouse

Not to be confused with Longannet Power Station (centred NS 9520 8530) , for which see NS98NE 40.

ARCHITECT: Robert H. Mathew, 1957

REFERENCE: Historic Scotland library

Prospect no.8 Winter 1957 - illustrated article

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Built 1960, by Robert Matthew, Johnson-Marshall & Partners.

J Gifford 1988.

Demolition commenced Summer 2000. By November, little survived except the two tall brick-built chimney stacks.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), 8 November 2000.


Publication Account (1997)

The first of a series of giant coal-burning power stations commissioned by the South of Scotland Electricity Board on its formation in 1955 as part of moves towards an inegrated Scottish national energy policy (following the break-up of the British Electricity Authority). Kincardine was brought into service in five stages between 1958 and 1963, with an ultimate generating capacity of 760 kilowatts - at the time, one of the largest in Europe. Adjoined by two 400-ft. chimneys, the main building has a steel-framed structure (by Redpath Brown) with light cladding of aluminium and glass - a decisive break from the interwar 'cathedral of pwoer' tradition. The station was designed to burn low-grade coal from local colieries. The Kincardine area's coal extraction/energy generation complex was further augmented from 1966, when the country's largest conventional power station, the Longannet plant, also designed by RMJM, was built. In comparison with the slender elegance of Kincardine, Longannet's single-chimneyed massiveness purposefully expresses its far greater capacity. (Fig. 4.8).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland, 1945-75', (1997).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions