Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Liddel Water

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Liddel Water

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Hudhouse Tower

Canmore ID 67981

Site Number NY59NE 7

NGR NY 5755 9786

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67981

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Castleton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NY59NE 7 5755 9786

(NY 5755 9786) Tower (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1923)

A square tower of which only the foundations remain, stood at Hudshouse.

OSA 1795 (J Pirkle).

'A house two storeys high formerly a farm house...at present in ruins.'

Name Book 1863.

Near Hudshouse, a farm-steading even in recent times, but now in ruins. There are here the scanty remains of an ancient tower of the Croziers.

J Hardy 1890.

No definite traces of a tower exist, but the foundations of a farmstead (probably of early modern date) remain in a considerably mutilated condition, now grassed over. The footings of two rectangular buildings can be traced lying paralled to each other c.7.0m apart; and abutting the NW angle of the larger building is a rubble mound, c.10m square, which seems to have been another building - possibly the tower.

The site has been enclosed by a now mutilated bank on the N, E and W sides and by the river on the S.

Visited by OS (JLD), 6 October 1960.

The mound of rubble, 10m square, is probably the remains of the tower.

Visited by RCAHMS (PC), March 1985.

A farmstead annotated Hudshouse (Ruins of) and comprising one unroofed long building of two compartments and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Roxburghshire 1863, sheet xxxix).

The fragmentary remains of one unroofed building and of one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1988).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH), 1 August 2000.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions