Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hillhouse Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Hillhouse Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 67936

Site Number NY58NW 4

NGR NY 5053 8707

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Castleton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NY58NW 4 5053 8707.

(NY 5053 8707) Hillhouse Tower (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Pont (1608) indicated "Hillhouse" at the head of a tributary (Tweeden Burn ?) which joins the Liddel between Mangerton and Whithaugh, on the left bank. The foundations of Hillhouse, a strong square tower, remained in 1795 and the site was pointed out by two local informants in 1858.

OSA 1795; Name Book 1858

The published site falls on level ground in an area of mature forestry. There is no apparent trace of a structure. Despite the nearby names 'Castle Hill' (name: NY 505 869, but also under afforestation) and 'Hillhouse Wood'. (name: NY 502 867), Dr Robson (Hawick Museum) has no documentary evidence to support the alleged existence of a strong tower in this locality.

Visited by OS (JRL) 7 August 1979


Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions