Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harelaw Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Harelaw Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) 'Hector Of Ye Harlawe'

Canmore ID 67848

Site Number NY47NW 5

NGR NY 4349 7902

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67848

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Canonbie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY47NW 5 4349 7902.

(NY 4349 7902) Harelaw Tower (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

'Hector of ye Harelawe' tower, seen on a map of 1590, was the stronghold of Hector Armstrong, freebooter, who betrayed the Earl of Northumberland to the Regent Murray in the hope of reward. (Murray was assassinated in 1570 - NT07NW 39).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1841 (J Donaldson); J and R Hyslop 1912

No trace of Harlaw Tower survives.

Visited by OS (RD) 18 December 1970

The tower of 'Hector of ye harlawe' cannot be located. The map of 1590 places it to be in the NE of the junction of the Archer Beck with the River Liddle (NY 419 763), but the NSA places it 'at no great distance' from Penton Linns (NY 431 773) while the OS (6" map, 1957; Name Book 1858) suggest that it stood 700m ENE of Harelawhill farmhouse, in an area now covered by a forestry plantation.

T H B Graham 1914; RCAHMS 1981.

Listed as tower.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions