Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Arkleton, Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Arkleton, Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Arkelton House

Canmore ID 67788

Site Number NY39SE 17

NGR NY 380 914

NGR Description NY c. 380 914

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67788

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Ewes
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY39SE 17 c. 380 914

For Arkleton country house (NY 3801 9146), see NY39SE 26.00.

A tower is shown at Arkleton (NY 378 914) on a map of 1590. It was given to Ninian Armstrong by Robert, Lord Maxwell in 1537. Moulded stones from it are built into the present house. The RCAHMS describe two incised stones, built into the walls of Arkleton. One is a marriage stone of Walter Eliot, dated 1671, and the other also bears an inscription relating to Walter Eliot.

J and R Hyslop 1912; RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912

Dr M Robson of Wilton Lodge Museum confirms the existence and general siting of this tower. His records indicate that there were extant remains until the early 19th century, before it was entirely demolished. The site is locally believed to be on rising ground just to the N of Arkleton House, now in a landscaped garden. The house is entirely mid-19th century and later construction and incorporates no obvious earlier material apart from the two inscribed stones. These stones are as described; one is inserted in a wall inside the house, and the other in a garden annexe wall on the N side of the house.

Visited by OS (JRL) 25 September 1979.

This tower, recorded on a map of 1590, is said to have stood 'just to the N' of Arkleton House, into the fabric of which two inscribed stones have been incorporated, one bearing the name of Walter Eliot, the other the initials WE and KF and the date 1671.

RCAHMS 1981.

Listed as tower.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions