Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Langholm, Skipper's Bridge

Bloomery Mound (Medieval), Farmstead (Post Medieval), Field System (Period Unassigned), Road (Medieval), Road Bridge (Period Unassigned), Settlement(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Langholm, Skipper's Bridge

Classification Bloomery Mound (Medieval), Farmstead (Post Medieval), Field System (Period Unassigned), Road (Medieval), Road Bridge (Period Unassigned), Settlement(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) River Esk; Langholm Distillery, Bridge; Skippers Bridge

Canmore ID 67693

Site Number NY38SE 46

NGR NY 37066 83400

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67693

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Langholm
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY38SE 46 37066 83400

Skipper's Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1983.

Architect: Thomas Telford, 1807.

Widened 1880.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NY 371 834). Skipper's Bridge, built 1807. A 3-span structure with 2 large and 1 small segmental arches; the arch rings are of dressed stone and the spandrels of rubble.

J R Hume 1976.

Skipper's Bridge. Ruibble-built bridge over the Esk, built c. 1700 but widened to the N by John Hotson in 1808-9. Three unequal-sized segmental arches. the outer two small and designed to cope with flood water.Pointed ashlar cutwaters. On the S side, corbelling which steps up over the arches. Pilaster strips above the N cutwaters. Both parapets are of 1808-9.

J Gifford 1996.

Skippers Bridge, 1693-1700. Tall, three-span, with triangular cutwaters, widened upstream [to the N] in 1807. The S side reveals its early date, with rubble arch rings and corbelled parapet.

J R Hume 2000.

This bridge carries the A7(T) public road across the River Esk to the S of Langholm Distillery (NY38SE 35) and about 1km S of Langholm itself (NY38SE 36).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 18 December 1996.

NY 3700 8340 to NY 3370 7978 The walkover survey was undertaken in July 2007. A 50m wide corridor, 25m either side of the proposed pipelines, was surveyed. Archaeological features, identified by Dumfries and Galloway Council Archaeology Service were inspected and their condition and extent were recorded. Additionally, several previously unrecorded features of archaeological interest were identified during the survey.

Lynne Fouracre, AOC Archaeology Group

Information from OASIS ID: aocarcha1-30299

Activities

Ground Survey (26 July 2007 - 27 July 2007)

NO 3700 8340 to NY 3370 7978 The walkover survey was undertaken in July 2007. A 50m wide corridor, 25m either side of the proposed pipelines, was surveyed. Archaeological features, identified by Dumfries and Galloway Council Archaeology Service were inspected and their condition and extent were recorded. Additionally, several previously unrecorded features of archaeological interest were identified during the survey.

Publication Account (2007)

Skippers Bridge, built between 1693 and 1700, now carries the A7 road over the Esk just south of Langholm. It is a good example of a country masonry arch bridge of its time with spans of 18 ft 3 in., 44 ft 8 in. and 43 ft 2 in. The masonry is squared rubble with arch rings of squared stone. The cutwaters are pointed. The bridge was widened on the upstream side in 1806 giving a width between parapets of 20 ft. In 1926 it was strengthened by haunching over the arches with reinforced concrete.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions