Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Burian Hill, Old Irvine

Bloomery Mound (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Burian Hill, Old Irvine

Classification Bloomery Mound (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Burrian Hill

Canmore ID 67654

Site Number NY38SE 12

NGR NY 366 820

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67654

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Langholm
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY38SE 12 366 820

The largest slag deposit in Eskdale was found in 1911 by Mr A Aitchison on Burian Hill (name NY 364 818) about 1/2 mile from Old Irvine farmhouse, about 400ft OD. The main deposit is about 9ft long by 3ft deep.

J and R Hyslop 1912

This is the site of a medieval bloomery. The samples seen, in Dumfries Museum, appear to be mainly tap slag.

A E Truckell 1964; J Williams 1967

The spread of slag found in 1911 could not be identified on the ground and it may now be turf-covered. However, the farmer (Mr Graham, Old Irvine, Langholm) discovered a concentration of slag (some of which he has in his possession) whilst digging drainage ditches about 1970 in the area centred NT 3668 8200. This fairly level, marshy area lies just below four or five small quarries which have been cut into the hillslope.

Visited by OS (MJF) 27 September 1979

NY 366 820. A bloomery-mound is situated 950m N of Old Irvine farmhouse (NY38SE 86) in an area where iron slag has frequently been found. It measures 8.1m in diameter and 0.6m in height.

RCAHMS 1981, visited February 1981.

J and R Hyslop 1912.

Burrian Hill. Listed as bloomery mound.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions