Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Morton, Old Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Morton, Old Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Morton Churchyard; Old Parish Church Of Morton; Morton Churchyard; Sark Tower Churchyard

Canmore ID 67537

Site Number NY37NW 4

NGR NY 33226 75031

NGR Description Centred NY 33226 75031

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67537

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Canonbie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY37NW 4.00 33226 75031

See also NY37NW 3.

NY37NW 4.01 3321 7503 Morton, Old Parish Church, 'Kinmont Willie's Grave'.

(NY 3330 7505) Morton Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

For present parish church of Half Morton (NY 3201 7444), see NY37SW 24.

The parish church of Morton is mentioned in various charters, dating from 1171, when its being granted to Kelso Abbey was confirmed. In 1702, part of this parish was united to Canonbie, and the remainder to Wauchope. The church was rebuilt in 1703, and services were conducted in it by the ministers of Langholm until 1825. Finally, in 1839, the present Half Morton was detached from Langholm and Wauchope to form a separate parish.

I B Cowan 1967; H Scott 1917

NY 3327 7501. No trace of Morton Church could be found. The graveyard is covered with graves and waist-high nettles.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 22 June 1970.

Nothing can be seen, in a disused burial-ground 110m WSW of Tower-of-Sark farmhouse, of the former parish church of Morton. This parish was suppressed in 1702 but the church was rebuilt in 1703 and continued in use until 1825.

RCAHMS 1981, visited November 1980.

G Chalmers 1887-1902; H Scott 1915-61; G Gilchrist 1965.

Nothing is visible of the Old Parish Church of Morton (NY37NW 4) which stood within the burial-ground on a slight rise overlooking the river cliff, and to the W of Tower-of-Sark steading (NY37NW 46). Within the burial-ground, there is a fine collection of 18th-century graveslabs.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS, PC, JRS), 2 July 1993.

G Gilchrist 1965.

Listed as church and burial-ground.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions