Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Deil's Jingle, Castle O'er Estate

Linear Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Deil's Jingle, Castle O'er Estate

Classification Linear Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Yetbyre; Bank Head Hill

Canmore ID 67314

Site Number NY29SE 2

NGR NY 253 911

NGR Description NY 253 911 to NY 258 939

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67314

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Eskdalemuir
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY29SE 2 253 911 to 258 939

(NY 253 911 to NY 283 965) Deil's Jingle (NR)

OS 6" map (1957).

See also NY29SW 10 and NY29SE 4.

The 'Deil's Jingle', which extends from NY 253 911 to NY 283 965 (see map diagram) is a linear feature comprised of detached portions of a ditched mound similar to the "Deil's Dyke" (see LIN 111), for which Graham and Feachem, in the absence of dating evidence, suggest a Dark Age origin. (Information from O G S Crawford 16 March 1939)

RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912; A Graham and R W Feachem 1956

Linear earthwork perambulated from NY 2534 9112 to NY 2600 9419. (See map diagram).

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 August 1962 and (DWR) 16 October 1973

No change to previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (BS) 17 October 1978

The existence of linear earthworks around the fort NY29SW 10 was first noted by William Roy in the mid 18th centuru. In 1896, Richard Bell, a local antiquary, recorded an extensive system of 'trenches' and numerous features have been identified on the ground or on air photographs. Although many of these features appear to be old roads, tracks and stream gullies, there can be little doubt that large areas around the fort were once enclosed by linear earthworks in conjunction with natural features.

The 'Deil's Jingle' runs intermittently for about 6km from the head of the Rennald Burn to the confluence of the Black and White Esks; it is probably a medieval estate boundary. The boundary of the lands of Tomleuchar and Watcarrick, which were granted to Melrose Abbey in the 12th century, ran 'by the back of Harewude, and so descends to where the two Esks meet'. By the 17th century this may have been fossilised as the march of the tennandry of Dumfedling, subsequently becoming the boundary of the parish of Eskdalemuir in 1703; parts of the parish boundary, and the march of the lands of Yetbyre, apparently coincide with the course of the Deil's Jingle on estate maps of 1718 and 1810.

RCAHMS 1980, visited August 1980.

Deil's Jingle. Listed as linear earthwork.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions