Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newland Hill

Cord Rig (Prehistoric), Fort (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Newland Hill

Classification Cord Rig (Prehistoric), Fort (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Capelfoot

Canmore ID 67181

Site Number NY28NW 6

NGR NY 2487 8637

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Tundergarth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY28NW 6 2487 8637

(NY 2487 8637) Ancient Earthwork (NAT)

OS 6" map (1957).

Not to be confused with earthwork at NY 25390 86255, for which see NY28NE 1.


RCAHMS 1920.

On the summit of a hill is a sub-oval fort measuring internally 66.0m NNW-SSE by 51.0m transversely, between a double earth-and-stone rampart with medial ditch. There are two entrances, in the NE and SW. In the SSE corner of the fort a low earth-and-stone bank, possibly contemporary, cuts off a corner of the interior, producing a small enclosure with an entrance in its N side. Within this enclosure is a probable house platform about 7.5m in diameter.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 20 March 1972.

Listed among 'Smaller forts and defended settlements'. Although the interior would allow space for timber-built huts additional to the four or five that may now be visible from the surface, it is clear that even if all the enclosed space were so utilised the total complement could never exceed ten.

G Jobey 1971.

No change to the previous field report.

Visited by OS (TRG) 22 September 1978.

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980. They list this monument as a settlement.

RCAHMS AP Catalogue 1980.

Cord rig cultivation is visible immediately to the NE and NW of the fort on the summit of Newland Hill.

Visited by RCAHMS (SPH, ARG), 16 November 1995.

(Listed as unfinished fort, timber round-houses and cord rig).

RCAHMS 1997.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions