Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Learable Hill

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Learable Hill

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 6717

Site Number NC82SE 5

NGR NC 8945 2403

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6717

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kildonan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC82SE 5 8945 2402.

(NC 8945 2402) Stone Circle (NR)

OS 6"map, (1962)

The remains of a stone circle on a slight eminence. Three long pointed stones remain, all overturned, and another large stone protruding from the ground towards the SW may have formed part of the circle. The stones are from 5'6" to 8' in length, and from 2'8" to 4' in breadth. The stone on the north arc of the circle bears an incised ring 6" across, with 2' below it a small cup-mark 2" across, and about 1" to 2" from the base is another well-defined cup-mark and two faint ones.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909

The remains of this stone circle are as described above and it appears to have had a diameter of about 14m. There is insufficient evidence to classify these three, possibly four,stones as the remains of a stone circle. It is significant that they are all pointed and of similar size; as it the cup-marked stone (NC82SE 2) some 20.0m downhill. However the stones in their present position do not form a true circle, and the position on a fairly steep ENE-facing slope is unusual for a stone circle. There is also no evidence for its being the remains of a cairn. The cup-marked stone (RCAHMS 1911) is at NC 89459 24032, the most northerly of the stones (A) in this alleged circle.

Revised at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (N K B) 21 Feburary 1977

What has been previously recorded by RCAHMS as a stone circle on a slight eminence (RCAHMS 1911), comprises three large boulders of which one is decorated with cup and ring-marks. This cup-marked slab (1.9m long, 1.1m broad and 0.6m thick) lies some 40m NW of the cup-marked stone (NC82SE 2). On its upper face there are three plain cup-marks (up to 60mm in diameter by 16mm deep) and a pecked ring-mark (140mm in diameter).

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 June 1991.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions