Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Site Name Kirkhill

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Wamphray; Staffenbigging Burn

Canmore ID 66901

Site Number NY19NW 12

NGR NY 1396 9592

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Wamphray
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY19NW 12 1396 9592

(NY 1396 9592) Stone Circle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1958)

At Kirkhill are the scheduled remains of a stone circle 50' in diameter. Seven stones, probably only two of which are in situ, stand to a height of up to 1' 6".


The remains of a stone cirle situated in flat rough pasture. Seven stones, as planned by Prof. Thom,(A Thom, A S Thom and A Burl 1980) give a radius of 11.5m, with two stones probably being displaced. The largest stone is 1.5m x 1.0m x 0.6m high.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (D W R) 28 March 1972.

There are eight stones in the circle as shown on Thom's plan. The eighth stone, well within the line of the circle, is a sub-triangular fragment 0.6m by 0.4m which may have broken off the southernmost stone.

Visited by OS (M J F) 11 September 1978.

Stone Circle [NR]

(remains of) [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.

The remains of this possible stone circle are situated in rough pasture and lie on the edge of a low terrace to the E of an unnamed tributary of the Staffenbiggen Burn. Only one stone (A on plan) is in its original position, and it has been reduced to a stump with what may be the upper part of the stone lying to the ESE (B); the remaining six stones have all fallen and others may have been removed in the past.

The individual stones measure as follows:

A, 0.65m by 0.85m at the base and 0.5m high;

B, 0.95m by 0.6m by 0.5m;

C, 1.05m by 0.8m by 0.45m;

D, 1.35m by 0.85m by 0.5m;

E, 1.25m by 0.7m by 0.55m;

F, 0.8m by 0.75m by 0.45m;

G, 1.1m by 0.8m by 0.35m;

H, 1.1m by 0.9m by 0.35m.

Between stones A and H there is a hollow which may mark the position of a stone-hole.

The OS Name Book records the tradition of three other stone circles in the vicinity but none now survives.

Visited by RCAHMS (SMF), 19 July 1990.

Name Book 1857.

The supposed 'stone circle' was descheduled in 2009.

Information from Historic Scotland 30 April 2009.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions