Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lunelly Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Lunelly Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 66809

Site Number NY18SE 7

NGR NY 1971 8236

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/66809

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Hutton And Corrie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY18SE 7 1971 8236

(NY 1971 8236) Lunelly Tower (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

A fragment of the S wall, 20 ft long, 25 ft high and 3 ft 8 ins thick remained in 1912. Of old it was called Lun, and was the seat of the Corrie family, probably some sort of wooden stockaded dwelling, till 1484. In 1516 the lands of Lund passed to the Johnstone family who lived here for three generations and probably built the tower.

RCAHMS 1920; R C Reid 1934

All that remains of Lunelly Tower is a rectangular mound of grass-covered masonary, about 2.0m high, probably the barrel-vaulted basement. A fragment of the outer wall face, about 4.0m long and about 1.4m high, is exposed on the south side. To the west, north and east of the tower the foundations of a courtyard wall, now generally a slight, stony bank, 0.4m high, at the SE corner of which are the possible foundations of a small turret.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (WDJ) 20 May 1966.

Listed as tower.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions