Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Brydekirk Mains, St Bryde's Tower

Lairds House (Medieval)

Site Name Brydekirk Mains, St Bryde's Tower

Classification Lairds House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Brydekirk Tower

Canmore ID 66723

Site Number NY17SE 9

NGR NY 18696 71113

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/66723

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Annan
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY17SE 9 18696 71113

(NY 186 711) St Bryde's Tower (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

A fragment, 15ft. long, 3 ft. broad and 25 ft. high, of the N wall of the tower mentioned in 1590 survives, surrounded by out buildings on Brydekirk Mains Farm.

RCAHMS 1920

The remains of the tower at NY 1869 7111 are as described by RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (RD) 23 October 1967

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (IA) 22 February 1973

At the N end of the E range of Brydekirk Mains steading (NY17SE 70), there is what is probably the gable wall of a 17th-century laird's house (previously interpreted as the remains of Brydekirk Tower). The extant portion has a slight external batter and rises to what is probably a crow-stepped gable. At the apex there is a corbel, probably for a chimney. The Internal face of the wall has been remodelled, but at first floor level, on the W, there is a semi-circular recess, probably for a newel-stair. Latterly, the recess has been re-used as the embrasure for a fireplace, the E jamb of which is in situ and wrought with a chamfered arris. Viewed from the exterior, a flue is apparent rising to the apex of the gable. A doorway in the adjoining range at first floor level has a jamb which is also wrought with a chamfered arris.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS), 24 August 1993.

Listed as tower.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions