Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Torthorwald Parish Church, Churchyard And Gatepiers

Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval), Gate Pier (Medieval), Grave Slab (Medieval)

Site Name Torthorwald Parish Church, Churchyard And Gatepiers

Classification Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval), Gate Pier (Medieval), Grave Slab (Medieval)

Canmore ID 66153

Site Number NY07NW 3

NGR NY 03577 78233

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Torthorwald
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY07NW 3.00 03577 78233.

NY07NW 3.01 NY c.0360 7823 Old Parish Church

(NY 0360 7823) Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1948)

This T-plan church (built 1782) occupies the W side of the enlarged burial-ground at Torthorwald. The site of the medieval parish church is probably indicated by a terrace, extending from the E wall of the present church, measuring about 20m from W to E by 8m transversely. The S side of the terrace is respected by a number of 18th-century gravestones and slabs, the earliest dated 1710, while only gravestones of 19th-century date impose upon the terrace itself.

In the W wall of the vestry, above the string-course, there is a medieval grave-slab bearing, in false relief, a floriated Latin cross: on the sinister side of the cross, there is, a double-edged sword with depressed quillons and segmented coped pommel, surmounted by a shield bearing a saltire and a chief; on the dexter side, there is an inscription which has been rendered unintelligible by re-cutting. The margin of the slab is decorated with a running scroll. Built into the N wall of the vestry, there is a small panel bearing, in relief, the letters WMH and the date 1644.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/PC), 29 September 1993.

Parish Church. White-painted T-plan kirk built in 1782, incorporating work of 1730; enlarged in 1791 and 1809.

J Gifford 1996.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions