Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Camp Hill, Tinlaw

Fort (Iron Age)

Site Name Camp Hill, Tinlaw

Classification Fort (Iron Age)

Canmore ID 66140

Site Number NY07NW 15

NGR NY 0417 7876

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/66140

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Torthorwald
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY07NW 15 0417 7876

(Centred: NY 0417 7876) Ancient Earthwork (NAT)

OS 6" map (1953).

Fort with probable double rampart and intervening ditch with an additional rampart over a projecting shoulder to the west, on the top of Camp Hill. From long cultivation the defences are low and inconspicuous. APs (CPE/Scot/UK/282: 3009-10; 27.8.47) show an entrance on the east.

RCAHMS 1920.

The summit of Camp Hill is enclosed by a fort defended by double ramparts with a third short rampart on the SW side. The double ramparts are now reduced to vague crest lines and in places, especially on the east side, are completely destroyed. The third rampart is visible as a broad spread bank c.0.6m high. The entrance was probably on the east side.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ), 22 June 1966.

Activities

Note (22 May 2014 - 23 May 2016)

This fort, which is one of two noted in the Statistical Account (ii, 1792, 10-11), survived relatively intact until 1856 but had been ploughed down by 1899. Despite this, traces of at least three concentric ramparts are visible on satellite imagery, and in 1966 the outermost still stood 0.6m high. In its present form the interior is almost unmeasurable, but the survey for the 1st edition OS 25-inch map indicates that the ramparts enclosed an area measuring about 85m from NNE to SSW by 65m transversely (0.4ha), though the imagery also suggests either the presence of an internal quarry ditch immediately behind the inner rampart, or perhaps a smaller enclosure measuring some 30m from NNE to SSW by 20m transversely occupying the very summit of the hill. The entrance is evidently on the E, where there are traces of the ramparts turning inwards slightly to either side.

Information from An Atlas of Hillforts of Great Britain and Ireland – 23 May 2016. Atlas of Hillforts SC0858

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions