Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Burntscarth Green Farm

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Site Name Burntscarth Green Farm

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 65828

Site Number NX98SE 23

NGR NX 9898 8018

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65828

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmahoe
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX98SE 23 9898 8018.

There is a circle about 30 paces in diameter on the south side of the road from Knowe Head cairn (NX98SE 17) to Locharbriggs, on the farm of the Green (occupied by Mr Mitchell).

T Johnston 1825-7

The farm of Green is Burntscarth Green farm (NX 9898 8018) known locally as the 'Green' (Mr Dent, Hillhouse, Locharbriggs). Most of its land, between the steading and the Knowehead-Locharbriggs road, is now covered by dwelling-houses. No trace of any circle was seen.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 June 1964

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions