Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Mote Of Troqueer

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Mote Of Troqueer

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Canmore ID 65677

Site Number NX97SE 1

NGR NX 9743 7485

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65677

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Troqueer (Kirkcudbrightshire)
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX97SE 1 9743 7485.

(NX 9743 7485) Mote of Troqueer (NR)

OS 25" map (1968)

Mote of Troqueer. A large troop-mustering motte of 12th century date. There is no evidence of later occupation. Several small fragments of medieval pottery have been recovered from it; its surface is much disturbed by 19th century landscaping (A E Truckell and J Williams 1967) The diameter of the summit taken along the garden paths crossing it, is 131 ft NE-SW by 127 ft transversely. The sides slope at an angle of 40 except towards the house, where it has probably been interfered with. Situated on a sloping bank, it is 18ft high to NW, but 34 ft high on SE. Though no ditch is now visible, a slight depression round the base probably indicates its former existence; within the paling which bounds it on the NW there may be a segment, recently filled with masonry from some demolished building.

F R Coles 1893; RCAHMS 1914, visited 1912

Mote of Troqueer: A mutilated, flat-topped motte, measuring about 44 m in diameter on top. It varies in height from 2 m on the N to about 5 m on the S, where the ground slopes towards the river. The surrounding area has been built up and the house, ornamental ground, etc have been destroyed.

Visited by OS (JLD) 6 December 1960

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions