Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ladye Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Ladye Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)

Canmore ID 65675

Site Number NX97NW 8

NGR NX 9268 7734

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65675

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Terregles (Kirkcudbrightshire)
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX97NW 8 9268 7734.

(NX 9268 7734) Ladye Chapel (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1969)

Lady Chapel Knowe is a considerably worn oval motte surrounded by at least one trench and low rampart, above which on the E are traces of two, perhaps even three, terraces. A low ridge, possibly a wall, runs 48 ft N from near the centre of the mound, then turns W to the edge of the motte. Within the SE curve is an enclosure, similar in height to the wall. From the N corner a long and high rampart extend E for over 150 ft, merging into the natural bank.

F R Coles 1893

There are distinct traces of foundations on the Chapel Knowe, while a terrace-like mound passing round it on the S side has probably been a roadway through the adjacent swampy ground in which is situated the Lady Well (NX97NW 7).

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1912

The remains of St Mary's Chapel are situated beside Lady Chapel Knowe.

H Scott 1917

Lady Chapel Knowe is a much mutilated mound which appears natural when viewed from the N; it is protected on the S and W by a ditch and bank or rampart. The ditch now exists mainly as a terrace. On the top of the mound at the SE is an irregular-shaped enclosure outlined by a mutilated bank of earth. There is a possible entrance to the top of the mound from the W side but this may be a modern break. The long and high rampart mentioned by Coles, whose orientation is wrong, is now reduced to an E-facing scarp. There is no trace of Lady Chapel.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 1 July 1964

Though the name "Ladye Chapel" appears on earlier editions of OS maps, no information could be obtained from the O N B.

Information from OS Recorder (IF) 21 June 1979

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions