Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Golspie, Golspie Bridge

Road Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Golspie, Golspie Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Golspie Burn

Canmore ID 6563

Site Number NC80SW 12

NGR NC 84041 00542

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6563

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Golspie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC80SW 12 84041 00542

(NC 8404 0054) The bridge over the burn at Golspie was the rallying place of the Sutherland clan, and on a parapet is an obelisk bearing the Gaelic inscription: "Morfhear Chatt/ do/ Cheann-na-Droichait big Gairn / Chlann Chattich / Nam Buadh". This means "The Chief of the Sutherland Clan to the head of the little bridge calls the Sutherland men of the victories."

D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931; Sutherland Country Guide nd.

The obelisk on the bridge (now disused) is as described above.

Visited by OS (N K B) 28 January 1976.

The bridge was built about 1810. The obelisk was probably taken from an earlier "little bridge".

HBD (1967).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions