Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Dumfries, St Thomas' Chapel And The Deanery

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Deanery (Medieval), Tolbooth (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dumfries, St Thomas' Chapel And The Deanery

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Deanery (Medieval), Tolbooth (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 'Between High Street And Queensberry Street'

Canmore ID 65600

Site Number NX97NE 66

NGR NX 9726 7608

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65600

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dumfries
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX97NE 66 9726 7608

(Name: NX 9726 7608) Site of The Deanery (NR)

and St Thomas's Chapel (NR)

OS 1:1056 map (1852)

The site of old buildings which at present are occupied by a range of shops. They appear to have been taken down about the time of the Reformation, and a prison or tolbooth built on the site. This tolbooth was later demolished, and a new one built farther north (Midsteeple: NX97NE 14). A council chamber was then built on this site; after alterations and repairs, it still stands, now used as shops. The arched vaults of the Deanery are said to be still used as cellars belonging to the shops. The small chapel of St Thomas adjoined the Deanery.

Name Book 1850

The earliest known chapel in Dumfries was that dedicated to St Thomas Becket, whose revenues were gifted to Kelso Abbey in 1183 x 1188. The chapel was located between High Street and Queensberry Street.

G W S Barrow 1971; SBS Dumfries 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions