Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumfries, St Allan's Wells

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dumfries, St Allan's Wells

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Allan's Well; The Three Wells; Mill Burn; St Michael's Street; St Allan's On The Brae

Canmore ID 65599

Site Number NX97NE 65

NGR NX 9730 7576

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65599

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dumfries
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX97NE 65 9730 7576.

(NX 9730 7576) St Allan's Wells (NAT)

OS 1:1056 map (1852)

Three good spring wells, which supply water to the southern side of Dumfries; they are noted for the purity of their water. A small chapel, called St Allan's on the Brae, is traditionally said to have stood nearby, but no trace of it now remains and its site cannot be pointed out.

Name Book 1850

St Allan's Well, or The Three Wells, was beside Mill Burn, at the foot of a lane on the south side of St Michael's Street. It consisted of three basins each backed by an arched recess, all built of dressed stone. Allan was a native of Galloway who became Bishop of the Isles and one of the Scots clergy who recognised Bruce's title to the crown in 1309.

R Morris and F Morris 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions