Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Dumfries, Queensberry Street

Market Place (Post Medieval)

Site Name Dumfries, Queensberry Street

Classification Market Place (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 65514

Site Number NX97NE 119

NGR NX 9727 7600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65514

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dumfries
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX97NE 119 9727 7600

The fish market was situated at the Fish Cross at the end of Lochmabengate near its junction with Queensberry Street. The cross was later moved to the top of St Michael's Street, where it remained until 1788 when it was once again placed in the High Street, on Cross Brae, S of the Midsteeple. (see NX79NE 67).

SBS Dumfries 1977

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions