Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

New Abbey, Old House

House (17th Century)

Site Name New Abbey, Old House

Classification House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) New Abbey Village, The Old House

Canmore ID 65439

Site Number NX96NE 34

NGR NX 96185 66225

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65439

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish New Abbey
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX96NE 34 96185 66225.

(NX 9618 6622) Old House (NAT)

OS 25" map (1966)

Old House: This small 17th century house is built of granite boulders, coated with whitewash. It is two storeys and a garret in height and measures over all some 31 ft by 18 ft.

A lintel over the S window in the E wall is inscribed IS 16.2. RB. The initials are probably those of John Stewart of Shambellie and R Brown, his wife. However, the SDD, who note that the house is ruinous, give the inscription as WS 1622 JB.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; SDD List 1967

Activities

Photographic Survey (October 1962)

Photographic survey of buildings in New Abbey, Kirkcudbrightshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Records in October 1962.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions