Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkconnel House

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Kirkconnel House

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkconnell House, Kirkconnel Tower

Canmore ID 65422

Site Number NX96NE 2

NGR NX 97990 68033

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65422

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Troqueer (Kirkcudbrightshire)
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX96NE 2.00 97990 68033 Kirkconnel House

NX96NE 2.01 97911 68010 Stables

NX96NE 2.02 97918 68107 Gatepiers

(NX 9798 6802) Tower (NR)

OS 6" map (1971)

Kirkconnell House is a rambling structure dating from various periods; its nucleus is a four-storeyed tower on the L-plan, which occupies the S end of the existing buildings. Its walls are 6 ft thick.

The vaulted basement is lit by small, unusual, crosslet shot-holes. Truckell states that the tower was built in the late 15th century, while other authorities give a 16th century date. Maxwell-Irving considers that the tower was almost certainly built as a plain, rectangular keep, probably in the third quarter of the 16th century, the stair wing being added in the 17th century.

It is still inhabited; the adjoining extensions were probably made in the mid-18th century. The estate was held by the de Kirkconnel family some time before the 1320's (see NX96NE 20); it came into the hands of the Maxwells in the early 15th century.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; N Tranter 1965; A E Truckell and J Williams 1967; A M T Maxwell-Irving 1974; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892

This tower, in excellent repair, was generally as described by the previous authorities when visited in 1964.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 8 July 1964.

Activities

Photographic Survey (June 1959)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in June 1959.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions