Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Southwick, The Brough

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Southwick, The Brough

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Southwick House Policies

Canmore ID 65402

Site Number NX95NW 5

NGR NX 9365 5702

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Colvend And Southwick
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX95NW 5 9365 5702

(NX 9465 5702) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1946)

For Southwick House (NX 93023 57461) and associated buildings, see NX95NW 40.00.

This mound, partially artificial, is known as 'The Brough' but shows no sign of having borne such a structure. It appears to have been a motte. The mound, the outline of which is rather irregular, is approximately oval with its longest axis NNW and SSE. It has an elevation of about 6' above the plateau on the north, and at its base on this side, there is a faint indication of a ditch. On the east the summit is about 25' above the bed of the burn; and on the south it rises some 14' above the gentle slope, in which the natural bank tails off.

The summit of the mound is fairly level, measuring some 70' by 60' in diameter, and on the south retains a trace of a parapet mound.

From the NW a somewhat artificial looking bank, with a flat top, winds along the park in the direction of the angle where the mound meets the bank of the burn, terminating some 30 yards short of it. This may possibly be the remains of an approach.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

This probable motte is generally as described above. There is now no trace of the ditch on the north side and only slight traces of the parapet mound on the south. The alleged approach is probably a natural ridge.

The mound is known locally as 'The Fort', and was probably built by Gilbert de Southwick c.AD 1180. (Information from A E Truckell) The name 'Brough' was applied to Southwick Home Farm but is now obsolete.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (JTT) 12 August 1965.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions