Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Drumlanrig Estate, East Approach Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Drumlanrig Estate, East Approach Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Drumlanrig Policies; Drumlanrig Castle Policies; Drumlanrig Bridge; River Nith

Canmore ID 65211

Site Number NX89NE 73

NGR NX 85950 99867

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65211

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Durisdeer
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX89NE 73 85950 99867

Drumlanrig Bridge [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, August 2009.

For Drumlanrig Castle (NX 85190 99214), policies and associated buildings, see NX89NE 1.00.

(Location cited as NX 860 998). Drumlanrig Bridge, repaired 1860. A handsome 2-span ashlar bridge, with semicircular arches, triangular cutwaters, ands unusual corbelled footpaths.

J R Hume 1976.

Said to be medieval, but reconstructed in 1860 with none of the original structure left evident.

C T Ramage 1876; OS visit 18 August 1977.

The main approach [to the Castle] from the NE is across Drumlanrig Bridge over the Nith, built in the late 17th century, but repaired in 1710 (by William Lukup) and again in 1747. Two roundheaded arches of pinky ashlar, the central pier ending in triangular cutwaters, their tops sloped. Parapets by Charles Howitt, 1860, projected on continuous corbelling. On the E side of the abutment, two cast-iron lions' haeds, probably of 1860.

J Gifford 1996.

East Bridge, two-arch, red ashlar, springs high over the Nith. Late medieval in origin and put in good order, 1710, by William Lukup; roadway widened on corbel table 1810.

J R Hume 2000.

This bridge carries an estate road (forming the East or main Approach) over the River Nith 1km NE of Drumlanrig Castle (NX89NE 1.00), within the area of Drumlanrig Castle Policies.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 8 March 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions