Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thornhill, Drumlanrig Street, Market Cross

Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Thornhill, Drumlanrig Street, Market Cross

Classification Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 65145

Site Number NX89NE 12

NGR NX 87879 95478

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65145

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Morton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX89NE 12 87879 95478.

(NX 8787 9547) Market Cross (NAT)

OS 25" map (1856)

A tall column on a massive base standing on two steps, and surmounted by a bronze flying horse, was erected at Thornhill, about 1714, by the Duke of Queensberry. Described by Hewison (J K Hewison 1912) as "market cross" and by Syme (TSA 1962) as the possibly 17th century village cross, damaged in a storm in 1954, since restored.

J W Small 1900

This is a restored 18th century market cross with a fluted shaft.

Visited by OS (SFS) 5 June 1975

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions