Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Crawfordton

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Old Crawfordton

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 65106

Site Number NX88NW 3

NGR NX 81574 88849

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65106

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glencairn
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX88NW 3 8155 8884

Tower

(remains of) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, November 2009.

See also NX88NW 20 (Old Crawfordton and Vault).

John Crichton of Crawfordton is mentioned in 1656.

J Corrie 1910

The basement of an old tower remains at Old Crawfordton. It is a simple oblong on plan, 34 feet x 19 ft 6 ins with ivy-covered rubble walls varying from 2 ft 6 ins to 4 ft 6 ins thickness standing up to 8 ft high. (This is probably the feature at NX 8155 8884).

RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912

The ivy-covered remains of this tower are as described above.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (BS) 26 August 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions