Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edingham Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Edingham Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 65003

Site Number NX86SW 7

NGR NX 83938 62670

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65003

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Urr
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX86SW 7 83938 62670.

(NX 83936266) Edingham Castle (NR) (Remains of).

OS 6" map (1946)

The plan of Edingham Castle suggests that it is early 16th century. It is a complete ruin.

RCAHMS 1914

The ruins of this castle are situated about 1 mile to the north of Dalbeattie. On plan (see Fig.183, RCAHMS 1914) the structure has been of the plain rectangular type, measuring 21 feet by 12 feet 4 inches within walls varying from 3 feet on the east side to 4 feet 6 inches on the west side. The entrance has been from the north-west, leading to an irregularly shaped vestibule at the foot of a wheel-stair in the thickness of the wall, from which two doors have led to the vaulted basement. It has been lighted by narrow windows on three sides, and was probably at one time divided into two apartments by a cross partition from the central division of the doorways, as at Cardoness (NX55NE 11.00). The staircase has communicated directly with the two upper floors, now represented by a fragment of walling at the south-west gable. The castle is in a state of complete ruin. The floor of the vault is covered with vegetation, and the walls are ivy-clad. It is surrounded by a dyke which prevents cattle from getting inside the building, but in other respects is entirely neglected. Indictations can still be seen of what was possibly an outer ditch- a probable feature, seeing that the castle does not occupy a position of natural strength. There seems to be no history recorded of this building, but judging by the form of plan it appears to date from the first half of the 16th century.

Visited by RCAHMS 24 July 1914

The remains consist of a roofless rectangular building the ground floor of which is occupied by a barrel vault more or less intact. In the north west angle a turnpike stairway leads to the floor above. The remains are in a ruinous condition.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 22 February 1963

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions