Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balmaghie Parish Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (18th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Balmaghie Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (18th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Plaque: Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 64591

Site Number NX76NW 12

NGR NX 72277 66318

NGR Description NX 72277 66318 and NX 7228 6629

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Balmaghie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX76NW 12 72277 66318 and 7228 6629

(NX 7227 6631) Balmaghie Church (NAT)

OS 6" map (1958)

The church of Balmaghie was dedicated to St. Andrew. In early times it belonged to the Priory of Iona but at the Reformation it was in the possession of the Abbey of Holyrood. It was rebuilt in 1794 on the old site, only a small part of the east gable bearing an 18th Century monument, being preserved.

The earlier church was probably pre- Reformation, and to judge by the ground plan traceable in the turf, was probably only about 18 yds long by 12 yds broad.

H Scott 1917; H M B Reid 1895

Balmaghie Church (in normal use) was built in 1794 and bears an inscription to the effect that it was restored in 1894 and 1913. The only trace of the previous church, part of the east gate, a column of mortared masonry 1.0m x 1.3m x 3.5m high, is at NX 7228 6629.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 13 August 1968


Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions