Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Parton, St Inan's Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Parton, St Inan's Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Innan's Church; Parton, Old Parish Church; Parton Old Church

Canmore ID 64167

Site Number NX66NE 2

NGR NX 69710 69897

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/64167

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Parton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX66NE 2 69710 69897

(NX 6970 6989) Kirk (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1958)

For the Current Parish Church (NX 69691 69901) see NX66NE 45.

NMRS REFERENCES

The ruins of the old church of Parton, said to have been built in 1592, consist of the east gable and two side walls, indicating a simple oblong structure, some 15'3" in width across the walls. The lintel of the window in the east wall has probably been part of a dripstone of an arch opening in an earlier church and a probably early 16th century fragment of an effigy of a priest is preserved within the modern church. A gable of the bell turret bears the date 1636. The pulpit is now preserved in NMAS. The church of Parton was dedicated to St Inan, and was known as Kilennan. St Inan was a confessor in the 9thc.

RCAHMS 1914; H Scott 1917; E M H M'Kerlie 1916

Pulpit dated 1598 now in the National Museum of Antiquities.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

ORDNANCE SURVEY

The church is generally as described. The north and south walls have evidently been extended or restored and a west wall added, the whole now forming a burial yard.

Visited by OS (EGC) 5 August 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions