Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkclaugh, 'standing Stone'

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Kirkclaugh, 'standing Stone'

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Motte Of Kirkclaugh

Canmore ID 63707

Site Number NX55SW 11

NGR NX 53438 52121

NGR Description NX 53438 52121 and NX 5315 5242

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63707

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Kirkclaugh, Kirkcudbrightshire, cross slab

Measurements: H 1.52m, W 0.49m, D 0.15m

Stone type:

Place of discovery: NX 5343 5212

Evidence for discovery: recorded in 1742 standing on the outer rampart of the motte and bailey at Kirkclaugh. By 1895 the stone had fallen and it was moved to the garden at Kirkclaugh.

Present location: near the house at Kirkclaugh.

Present condition: worn and the top is damaged.

Description:

This monument has a cross carved in low relief on both broad faces. On face A the terminals of the arms lie at the edges of the stone, and the upper arm is edge-shaped. Within the arms are pairs of parallel incised lines, and at the centre of the cross-head is a rosette with a central ring and dot. Another ring and dot appears on the lower arm, which sits on a broad shaft with incised triangular decoration.

Face C bears a plain cross with wedge-shaped upper arm and long bulging shaft.

Date: tenth or eleventh century.

References: Stuart 1856, 38, pl 123; ECMS pt 3, 480; Craig 1992, vol 2, 322-5.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2019.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (3 November 1970)

NX55SW 11 53438 52121 and 5315 5242

(NX 5344 5212) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1853)

Standing Stone (NAT)

OS 6" map (1957)

This sculptured stone was moved to the garden at Kirkclaugh, where it stands at the edge of a shrubbery, c.60' E of the house. It stands 5' high, and is sculptured with a cross on both sides - Collingwood dates them to c.1100.

Information from OS (IF) 3 November 1970

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1912; W G Collingwood 1927

Field Visit (29 February 1972)

The cross slab is located at NX 5315 5242. The stone at NX 5344 5212 is a modern erection, inscribed 'The sculptured stone of Kirkclaugh was removed from here January 1895.'

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 29 February 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions