Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Poulouriscaig

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Poulouriscaig

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 6370

Site Number NC76NE 7

NGR NC 765 656

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6370

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC76NE 7 765 656.

Poulouriscaig is a township settled by people cleared from Strathnaver in 1814-9 and deserted about 1943. It comprises the roofless remains of seven buildings, kaleyards and enclosures, and areas of lazy-beds, all within an enclosing boundary wall. Most of the houses appear to date from the late 19th century.

Visited by OS 15 July 1977.

The township comprising six roofed buildings and one unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet ix). There are seven unroofed buildings shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1962).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 14 August 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions