Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cauldside Burn

Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cauldside Burn

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 63692

Site Number NX55NW 9

NGR NX 5290 5725

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63692

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX55NW 9 5290 5725.

(NX 5290 5724) Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

Only the foundations remain of this cairn, which was 40' in diameter. Somewhat S of its centre a megalithic cist is exposed; it is 4'5" WSW-ENE, but of indefinite breadth. The stones were removed about 1845 to build dykes.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1912; F R Coles 1895

NX 5290 5725. The remains of a cairn, comprising a circular earthen and stone bank with an internal stony mound, is situated at 750ft OD in the saddle between Cairnharrow and Cambret Hills.

The bank of 12.3m overall diameter is 0.7m wide and 0.2m high with the suggestion of an internal ditch. There is an off-centre poorly preserved cist (1.3m long by 0.6m and 0.5m deep with its cover stone displaced) set in a disturbed stone mound now 5.5m diameter and 0.6m high.

Although it is reported as being extensively robbed in 1845 it seems likely that this is of the ring cairn type with an off-centre burial. Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 20 June 1977

Activities

Field Visit (5 July 1994)

This cairn is situated on a low ridge to the S of the Cauldside Burn. It measures 12.5m in diameter but has been extensively robbed and all that remains is a hummocky area bounded by a low, stony bank. At the centre of the cairn there is a cist, which is partially covered by a substantial slab, measuring 1.6m by 1m.

(Cree94 356)

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 5 July 1994

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions