Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cairnharrow

Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Site Name Cairnharrow

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 63668

Site Number NX55NW 11

NGR NX 5400 5684

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63668

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX55NW 11 5400 5684.

NX 540 568. Cup and Ring marked Rock, Cairnharrow; At some 800' OD, about 1/2 mile SW of the shepherd's house at Cauldside and some 200yds NE of a modern cairn on the E spur of Cairnharrow, is an angular piece of rock, 5'6" by 2'3". Its level upper surface is sculptured with one cup surrounded by three concentric rings crossed by a radial groove (the whole figure is 15" in diameter) with two smaller single ringed cups and a few simple cups adjacent.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1912; I F MacLeod 1969; R W B Morris and D C Bailey 1967

NX 5400 5684. A cup and ringed marked rock as previously described.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 21 June 1977

Activities

Field Visit (7 March 1994)

On the flat, weathered, upper-surface (1.7m by 0.55m) of an angular rock to the E of the Cuttie Burn about 700m SW of Cauldside, there are three cup and-ring marks, a dumb-bell and ten plain cupmarks. The largest of the marks (400mm across) has three rings and a shallow cup; the two smaller marks each has one ring (120mm and 110mm across), although a trace of what may have been an inner ring is visible in the larger of the two. The plain cupmarks are up to 50mm across by 6mm deep. A groove, recorded by the RCAHMS on a previous visit (RCAHMS 1914, 22), cut radially from the centre of the largest ring-mark, was not visible on the date of visit. Van Hoek noted an additional radial groove on the largest ring-mark, for which he records four rings, and two further ring-marks (Van Hoek 1995).

(Cree94 45)

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 7 March 1994

M A M van Hoek 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions