Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rutherford's Well

Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rutherford's Well

Classification Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 63639

Site Number NX55NE 18

NGR NX 58389 56225

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63639

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX55NE 18 58389 56225.

(NX 5838 5622) Rutherfords' Well (NAT)

OS 6" map (1957)

This is a modern stone structure, built over a probably holy well. It is called after Samuel Rutherford, minister of Anwoth 1627-39.

Name Book 1849; I F MacLeod 1969

A natural spring covered by a modern stone structure, feeding a cattle-trough outside. No information could be obtained regarding possible religious associations.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 7 July 1970

Activities

Field Visit (24 April 2012)

Although known as Rutherford’s Well, this feature is actually a small artificial pool that is fed by a spring that emanates from the foot of the adjacent W-facing slope and drains away via a trough that sits immediately to the W. The pool measures about 1m in diameter and is contained within a circular stone-walled well-house that has a domed roof (about 1.7m high externally) and a doorway on the S with a lintel and jambs formed from moulded window surrounds taken from elsewhere. The E jamb has been fitted with two simple door hinges; the W jamb has been fitted with a hoop to secure a lock.

The superstructure of the well-house gives every appearance of being relatively modern, perhaps the result of recent repairs, but it contains a partial lining of hand-made bricks very similar to those used in the construction of the walled garden (NS 58313 56104) about 100m to the SW. This garden is probably contemporary with the early 19th century former Anwoth parish manse (NX55NE 105) immediately SE.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 24 April 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions