Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Kirkbride

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Spindle Whorl (Possible)

Site Name Kirkbride

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Spindle Whorl (Possible)

Canmore ID 63630

Site Number NX55NE 1

NGR NX 5603 5615

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63630

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX55NE 1 5604 5615.

(NX 5604 5615) Supposed Site of (NAT) Church and Grave Yard (NR)

OS 6" map (1910)

Traditionally, a church and graveyard once stood here, which probably gave rise to the name of Kilbride farm on which it is situated. No historical account nor authentic information about it can be obtained in the locality. An alternative name of Kirkbride (site of) is given.

Name Book 1850

Kirkbride Church and Graveyard: A circular banked area with an adjoining rectangular enclosure beside the stream. Possibly a 5th-6th century church site.

I F MacLeod 1969

The remains of the graveyard consist of an earth-and-stone bank with outer facing stones occasionally visible on the SW. Ploughing has reduced the bank in the NE, and in the NW it has either been destroyed in the adjacent field or its course is followed by a modern field dyke. The entrance is in the ESE. There is no positive trace of the chapel, although there are the remains of a wall outside the graveyard to the SW. Name confirmed.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 2 March 1972

As described in the previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 21 June 1977

An oval enclosure (Cree94 24), which has traditionaly been regarded as a graveyard (ONB 1850), is levelled into the back of a terrace in an arable field overlooking the NE bank of the Skyre Burn. It measures 37.3m from NNW to SSE by 35.6m transversely within a boulder-faced, grass-grown bank measuring 1.6m in thickness and 0.4m in height, with an entrance on the SSE. Ploughing has reduced the SE arc of the bank to a slight swelling, and a modern stone wall overlies the bank on the NW; the interior has been reseeded with grass. There is no field evidence to suggest the presence of a church, and the enclosure is more likely to represent the remains of a prehistoric settlement.

A perforated stone disc, possibly a fishing weight or spindle whorl, was found in the field to the S of the enclosure, and is in the possession of Mr McCulloch (Kirkbride Farm).

(Cree94 24)

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 22 February 1994

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions