Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craigdhu

Motte And Bailey (Medieval)

Site Name Craigdhu

Classification Motte And Bailey (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Appleby

Canmore ID 63291

Site Number NX44SW 4

NGR NX 4010 4084

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63291

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glasserton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX44SW 4 4010 4084.

(NX 4010 4084) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Hardly any traces remain of the old, un-named castle which stood at this site. Bishops of Galloway are traditionally said to have stayed there. Name Book 1848

Slight remains of a motte and bailey are visible on flat ground at the base of castle Hill, where the Inventory (RCAHMS 1912), following the OS map, merely records the site of a castle. Although the field in which the remains are situated is now in rough pasture, it has previously been cultivated, and the only surviving part of the bailey defences consist of a segment of a ditch, 18' wide, but only a few inches deep, facing SE. Cropmarks on APs (106G/Scot/UK43: 4061-2), however, show all of this ditch, together with traces of an inner rampart, showing that the bailey was oval in plan, c. 180' NE-SW by 110' NW- SE. The motte, which stands in the SW half of the bailey, is an oval, grassy knoll, 52' x 45' along the axes, and 5'6" high. There are slight indications of a 10' wide ditch round the base.

RCAHMS TS, visited 1953; RW Feachem 1956

Little now survives at this site except a small motte 15.0m in diameter and 1.3m high with vague traces of a surrounding ditch. A recent quarry scoop in the S side of the motte has exposed a quantity of loose rubble and some shell mortar. Only part of the E side of the bailey is extant.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JP) 22 January 1973

Activities

Field Visit (28 September 1953)

Motte and Bailey, Appleby.

Some slight remains of a motte and bailey can still be seen on flat ground at the base of Castle Hill, 1100 yds. due W of Appleby, at the point where the Inventory of Wigtown (RCAHMS 1912, No. 24), following the OS map, merely records the site of a ‘castle’. Although the field in which the remains are situated is at present in rough pasture it has previously been under cultivation, and the only surviving portion of the bailey defences consists of a segment of ditch, 18 ft. in width but only a few inches in depth, facing to the SE; vegetation marks on National Survey air-photographs (106G/SCOT/UK 43, 4061-2) however reveal the complete circuit of this ditch together with traces of a rampart on its inner side, demonstrating that the bailey was oval on plan with internal measurements of approximately 180 ft. from NE to SW by 110 ft. transversely. The motte, which stands in the SW half of the bailey, is an oval, grassy knoll measuring 52 ft by 45 ft along the axes and 5 ft. 6 in. in height. Round the base there are some slight indications of a ditch 10 ft wide.

NX 402 408 xxxi SW (Castle, site of)

Visited 28 September 1953

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii).

Information from RCAHMS (GFG), 24 October 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions