Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

Ravenstone Castle

Country House (19th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Ravenstone Castle

Classification Country House (19th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Mansion House

Canmore ID 63261

Site Number NX44SW 10

NGR NX 40920 44181

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glasserton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX44SW 10.00 40920 44181

NX44SW 10.01 40928 43902 Kennels

NX44SW 10.02 40924 44238 Pumphouse

For Ravenstone Mains see NX44SW 83.

(NX 4092 4418) Ravenstone Castle is derelict. An L-plan tower, with a vaulted basement and moulded windows surrounds, forms part of this 19th century farmhouse.

Symson (in W Macfarlane 1907) mentions 'Ravinstone', commonly called 'Remeston" as one of the principal buildings in the parish, belonging to Robert Stewart, brother of the Earl of Galloway; it is first mentioned soon after 1455, and it is called Lochtoun alias Remistoun in 1585.

SDD List 1954; P H M'Kerlie 1870

Ravenstone Castle, a late 18th century mansion (a stone mason's inscription "HT 1773" records the exact date of construction) is now derelict and roofless.

The W wing incorporates the remains of an earlier building, a 16th century oblong tower measuring overall 14.8m N-S by 11.0m tranversely. It was extensively altered during the 18th century reconstruction, but retains two barrel-vaulted basements, a number of original windows, and two gun-loops.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 25 August 1970

Architecture Notes


Ravenstone Castle: Gutted

Site Management (25 September 1992)

Roofless ruins of large country house, 4 main builds: nucleus of L-plan tower of 16th century, with infill block to re-entrant angle of later 17th century. To N of this block, bow-ended wing added in early 19th century with further large double-pile addition of circa 1875 mirroring 17th century house; this gives near-cruciform plan with arms being early 19th century bow-ended projections.

A few yards to the N half hidden by a fallen tree are the remains of a horse powered pumping engine for drawing water. Cast-iron underfloor drive mechanism and part of the harness bar survive. The 19th century additions are of lesser merit but the Prestonfield-like early core is of rarity value and historic importance. (Historic Scotland)


Photographic Survey (June 1964)

Photographic survey of Ravenstone Castle, Wigtownshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1964.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions