Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Sorbie Station

House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Sorbie Station

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Sorbie, Station House

Canmore ID 63226

Site Number NX44NW 40

NGR NX 43507 47559

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63226

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Sorbie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX44NW 40 43507 47559

Station House [NAT] (at NX 43507 47559)

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

Location formerly entered as NX 4350 4755.

(Location cited as NX 436 475). Sorbie Station, rebuilt after a fire in 1880 by the Wigtownshire Rly, and now dominated by the recently-enlarged creamery. The up platform and its single-storey building survive.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Newton Stewart - Whithorn ('Wigtownshire Rhinns' or 'Machars') branch of the former Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Rly was opened (by the Wigtownshire Rly) on 2 August 1875. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 25 September 1950.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 11 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions