Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Millisle Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Millisle Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Garlieston; Sorbie

Canmore ID 63170

Site Number NX44NE 36

NGR NX 46380 46369

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63170

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Sorbie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX44NE 36 46380 46369

Millisle Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1983.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Wigtownshire Railway opened to Millisle from Newton Stewart 02.08.1875, Garlieston branch opened by April 1876 and line completed to Whithorn 31.07.1977. Garleston branch closed to passengers March 1903 and to freight 1904; rest of Wigtownshire Railway System closed 25.09.1950 to passengers and October 1964 to goods.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Millisle Railway Station has now been converted into residential accommodation.

Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ), June 2002.

This intermediate station on the Newton Stewart - Whithorn ('Wigtownshire Rhinns' or 'Machars') branch of the former Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Rly was also the junction for the branch to Garlieston. It was opened as Millisle foir Garlieston Station on 1 March 1903, replacing the predecessor station of Millisle (opened 3 April 1876) to the N. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 25 September 1950.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 11 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions