Promontory Fort (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Whithorn
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Wigtown
- Former County Wigtownshire
NX43SW 1 4482 3423.
(NX 4482 3423) Castle Feather (NR)
OS 6" map (1957)
Castle Feather is a two period site, a promontory fort having subsequently been utilised for a medieval castle. The medieval features comprise the internal structures, the largest of which has 4' thick walls and is presumably the tower-house, while the others are ancillary buildings and the revetting of the scarp of the inner ditch is stone. The ramparts and ditches belong to the promontory fort, though they have subsequently been heavily mutilated. These defences seem to have comprised five earthen ramparts and ditches on the N side, and three on the S, but the central area is so disturbed that the relationship of these ramparts to one another is quite uncertain. The circular hollow in the interior, mentioned by the RCAHMS, is a quarry, no doubt contemporary with the castle.
RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911; TS., visited 1955
Generally as described. The multivallate promontory fort measures internally 88.0m NE-SW by 28.0m NW-SE. The probable tower-house foundations measure internally 5.0m by 4.0m. The medieval defensive wall, on the inside of the inner ditch, measures up to 3.7m in height and 2.0m wide.
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (DWR) 23 January 1973
Field Visit (11 October 1955)
This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.
Measured Survey (2003)
Surveyed and drawn by AOC Archaeology in 2003.