Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasserton Parish Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasserton Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 63101

Site Number NX43NW 10

NGR NX 42121 38087

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63101

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glasserton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX43NW 10.00 42121 83087

NX43NW 10.01 42080 38087 Session House

(NX 42121 38087) Glasserton parish church, still in use, was erected in 1732. On its W gable is a good 17th century belfry, said to have come from Kirkmaiden (NX33NE 1). The N aisle and Gothic tower were added in 1836. At the E end, is a small roofless burial aisle, with a heraldic panel, date 159-, built into its N wall.

The head of a cross of possible late 10th century date (R Anderson 1926) were found about 1890 at the stone base of the pulpit, when renovating the church interior. In 1925, it was in a temporary box in the church vestibule. Another late 10th century cross from Glasserton is in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS, Accession no: IB 124).

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911; G Hay 1957; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; W G Collingwood 1925

The church is as described. The head of the cross on display in the church, has been cracked and chipped but is generally as illustrated.

No information was found regarding the cross in the NMAS.

Visited by OS (DWR) 18 January 1973

The cross is currently on display in the Museum of Scotland.

Information from A Nicholson, Dumfries and Galloway Council SMR, 14 February 2002.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish Records Office

Repairs to the Seaforth Tomb. Letter from George McHaffie, Wigtown to J A Steward McKenzie of Seaforth outlines the work that was carried out.

1834 GD46/2/106

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions