Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Glasserton
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Wigtown
- Former County Wigtownshire
NX43NW 1 4061 3737.
(NX 4059 3737) Stones with Cup and Ring markings found (NAT)
OS 6" map (1909)
Cup and Ring marks, Glasserton: There are a number of ridges of outcropping rock running WSW-ENE between Broad Lane Wood and the Fall of Carleton. Towards the S end of one of the most easterly of those ridges, about 50 yds ENE of the gate, is a flat rock surface about 38' x 15' bearing a number of cup and ring marks.
RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911; R W B Morris and D C Bailey 1967
NX 4061 3737: At lest 20 cup and ring-marks and 2 single cups are visible. Turf probably covers more.
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (DWR) 18 January 1973
On this rock, last described by Morris (1979), two additional cup and rings could be detected; one cup and three complete rings (21cm) with a short tail to the SE; one cup and two complete rings. Two, possibly four, other cup and rings also have a tail. One of the cup and two rings seems to be without central cup: it either never existed or has worn off. (Cites location as NX 4058 3730)
M van Hoek 1987